Interviewing at carwow
Author: Annie Jackson
So, you’ve applied to carwow and you’ve been invited to interview for a role with us — what’s next?
We recognise that interviewing can be a nerve-wracking experience, so we’ve put together this short blog to help make our interview process as transparent as possible. Here’s a short overview of what to expect at each stage of the interview process. Some of our processes can vary, depending on the position, but any extra stages or interview tasks will be explained by our Talent team (Annie, Mike or Jason) when you have your phone interview.
The Phone interview
We carry out telephone interviews for every position from junior level, right up to Director level. Expect the phone interview to last around 20–30 minutes. The initial call is for us to determine whether or not you are a good match for the role which you’ve applied for.
What we’ll be testing:
· Have you researched the company?
· Are you passionate about working for carwow?
· What are your motivations for wanting to work at carwow in this particular role?
· Do you meet the basic requirements for the role? These are listed on the job spec which can be found on our careers page www.carwow.co.uk/jobs
How to prepare for the phone interview:
· Research the company and familiarise yourself with our website and the customer journey
· We may ask a few questions about the role, so we recommend reading over the job spec before the call to refresh your memory
· Make sure that you’ve booked the phone interview for a time when you can talk openly in a quiet place with good phone signal. If you can’t take a phone call because you’re abroad then we are happy to call you via Skype/Google Hangouts
We will get back to you within 3–5 working days with feedback and an update. If the phone interview goes well, we will invite you to take part in a face to face interview in our office with the hiring manager.
The Face to Face Interview
If you have any questions before your first interview do not hesitate to get in touch with the Talent Team representative you spoke to on the phone, we’re here to help and are very happy to answer any of your questions.
What to expect
· The dress code for interviews is smart casual. We’re pretty relaxed in the office and we want everyone who works here to be comfortable so don’t be surprised if you see a lot of people in t-shirt and jeans. Don’t feel like you need to wear a suit as it’s an interview — wear whatever you’re most comfortable in.
· If you’re presenting a task, then please bring your laptop/tablet along with you or if you need to borrow a laptop then let the team know in advance and we can supply one for you.
· We have a dog-friendly office so there may be a few of them around. If you are nervous around dogs or are allergic, please let the team know in advance. (Not all of our team love dogs so we’re used to making special arrangements.)
Most onsite interviews last around 1 hour, but this really depends on which role you have applied for. At this stage we’re looking to assess:
· Can you do the job?
· What can you bring to carwow?
· What really motivates you?
· Do you demonstrate our company values?
We recommend preparing questions for the end of the interview — we give all interviewees the opportunity to ask any questions to finish up the face to face interview. We want to hire curious people so make sure you have a few questions ready — if you’re worried about remembering them all then feel free to bring some notes in with you.
Our interviews include questions on role fit & culture fit. Both are important as we’re not just looking for people who are great at their jobs, we’re also looking for people who share the same values as us.
We’ll get back to you within 5 working days after your face to face interview. Some of our vacancies, particularly at Director level may have a number of face-to-face interviews as part of the process. The process on average can take between 1–2 months.
Most importantly, be yourself — this interview is as much a chance for us to see if you’re a good match for carwow as it is for you to see if carwow is a good match for you.
Register at https://www.uksoftwarejobs.co.uk/SoftwareJobs if you are interested in receiving vacancy notifications that are accurately matched to your profile.